About Untitled Space Artist in Residence Program
Untitled Space Artist in Residence Program is an artist-run program of Untitled Space. This artist residency program encourages both young artists to continue their practice upon graduation and practicing artists to be keep inspired. Untitled AIR aims at providing an ideal living environment for all artists. Opens to all contemporary artists throughout the year (except February), during the residency, artists are encouraged to create a new body of work, engage in conversation with artists and researchers from China and around the world.
We welcome residency proposals from artists working in all types of contemporary art practice, including painting, printmaking, photography, ceramics, sculpture, installation, new media, site-specific, socially engaged, interdisciplinary practices and beyond. We also encourage proposals from International artists as well as artists based in China. Artists are not required to finish a project during their residency, but we will share their works, developments, and research with the Chinese art community and beyond through exhibition, workshop, artist talk, open studio, and social media. We will arrange museums, galleries, artists studio visits in Shanghai, Suzhou, and other cities, also various events throughout and closely following the residency.
我们欢迎来自各类当代艺术实践领域艺术家的驻地计划书，包括绘画，版画，摄影，陶瓷，雕塑，装置，新媒体，公共艺术，社会讨论，跨学科实践艺术等等。 我们也鼓励国际艺术家以及中国艺术家积极的申请。驻地艺术家不需要在驻留期间完成一个项目，但我们将通过展览，研讨会，工作室开放日，艺术家讲座和社交媒体等形式，与中国艺术界和全球分享驻地艺术家的作品，创作进展和研究项目。 我们也会安排参观上海，苏州或其它城市的博物馆，画廊，艺术家工作室参观，也会根据当月驻地情况安排其它各种活动。
Between one and three months
Support from Untitled Space:
- Providing fully-accessible studios and facilities
- Helping resident artists sourcing materials in China
- Promoting work to a wider audience, physically and digitally
- Offering professional development support, appropriate to individual needs
- Initiating critical dialogue and collaborative work between resident artists and local artists
- Providing free translation for artist's statement and bio
- Promoting artists' residence activity through our website, individual artist poster, local art community and social media
- Photo or video documentation for archival and publicity purpose, the data can be shared with resident artists
Untitled Space encourages resident artists conducting a workshop with the local community, building personal relationships that benefit both resident artists and locals. We will be providing free translation for the workshop organized by the resident artist.
Untitled Space offers artists opportunities to learn outside the residency space. We work with Jinze Art Centre and local artists, to introduce resident artists to traditional Chinese art. (If there is a participation or materials fee for a workshop, money is paid directly to the instructor.)
We can organize workshops about:
- Traditional Chinese Ink Painting Workshop
- Traditional Chinese Calligraphy Workshop
- Traditional Chinese Ceramic Workshop
- Traditional Chinese Embroidery Workshop
- Traditional Chinese textile dyeing Workshop
- Traditional Chinese Tea Ceremony
- Traditional Chinese Yellow Rice Wine Tasting
Untitled Space organizes at least 4 exhibitions per year for resident artists, depends on the quantity of work produced by resident artists each month. Exhibitions are a chance for resident artists to summarize their project in Untitled Space Artist in Residence Program. Meet up with friends and artists met during their stay, engage new conversation, as well getting feedback regarding their residency works. Resident artists will exhibit their works at Untitled Space Gallery according to our exhibition schedule, as well have opportunities to participate our partner gallery museum' exhibition.
无题空间每年会为驻地艺术家组织至少举办四次驻地计划展览，具体取决于驻地艺术家每月制作的作品数量。 展览是驻地艺术家在无题空间驻地计划中总结他们的作品的机会，并与他们在驻留期间所遇到的朋友和艺术家展开关于驻地作品的交流，以及获得新的反馈。 驻地艺术家将根据我们的展览计划表在无题空间画廊展出他们的作品，并有机会参加我们合作画廊和博物馆的展览。
- There is no application fee required
- The residency program is run as a sustainable residency. Resident artists need to pay a residency fee total of 5650 CNY per artist for one month stay, which is to meet the minimum cost of running the residency program
- Residency Program does not carry any funding or sponsorship program yet, so encourage artists to manage the scholarship application, grants or financial support in their home countries during the application period. Untitled Space will provide the necessary documentation to the selected applicant that so requires
- The artist is responsible for transportation, food, art material and other living expenses.
- If artists have company staying with the artist during his/her period of residence, any additional guests will be charged 2800 CNY per person per month